You may have several questions and concerns about the HCG Protocol, and it's important to find the answers before you start the diet to ensure you go into it with an easy mind and a full understanding of what's involved. Here are the answers to the top eight questions people have about the Protocol.
- Do I have to eat organic food, and isn't it expensive to do so? Organic food is generally more expensive than traditionally grown food, but eating strictly organic isn't necessary. However, it is recommended, simply because organic food is generally better for you than that which is grown with insecticides and other chemicals. If you want to go organic but are put off by the cost, consider switching only to organic produce, which costs about 15 percent more than conventional fruits and vegetables but is far better for you.
- Is losing so much weight so fast unhealthy? The general rule of thumb concerning healthy weight loss is to lose no more than three pounds per week. However, this is because losing too much too fast usually causes a loss of muscle mass, and your body typically requires more calories for good health than it would be getting if you were losing more than three pounds per week. The HCG leads your body to release abnormal fat, and it's the calories in this fat that fuels your body. In other words, you can safely lose more weight on the HCG Diet because you're still getting plenty of calories, and your body won't resort to consuming muscle for a lack of them. Keep in mind that during the first week of the diet, you may lose as much as 10 pounds because you will be losing the weight you gained from gorging.
- Isn't skipping breakfast unhealthy? Generally, you should eat breakfast every day. But remember, on the HCG Protocol, your body is releasing between 1,500 and 4,000 calories' worth of fat every day, providing you with the nutrients you need in the morning.
- What if I need breakfast to function properly at work? Try going without breakfast for a couple of days and see how you feel. If you then feel that you really need to eat breakfast to function optimally, eat half of a large apple, or have the piece of fruit you would normally eat with your evening meal. Just don't double up. If you eat fruit in the morning, you'll need to forego it with dinner.
- What if I'm starving while I'm on the HCG Protocol? Because your body is releasing so many calories from abnormal fat, you probably won't be hungry. If you are, there's something wrong. Perhaps you've lost all your abnormal fat and so you're not getting those extra calories, or maybe you're not following the Protocol as carefully as is required for optimum weight loss. Hunger is a sign that something's wrong, and keeping a food and weight diary so that you can look back to find the culprit is an important part of the protocol.
- Will I gain the weight back once I go off the 500-calorie diet? If you follow the protocol to the letter, including the maintenance phase, you will most likely not gain the weight back. But if you quit the Protocol early or neglect to follow the guidelines during the maintenance phase, you'll gain the weight back very quickly.
- Will I need skin removal surgery if I lose more than 50 pounds? You probably won't need surgery if you lose 50 pounds on the HCG Protocol. Pregnant women often gain 80 pounds and don't need any kind of surgery to restore their skin. Skin is very elastic, and in most cases, it'll shrink along with your figure.
- What makes the HCG Protocol so different from other diets? One of the differences between the HCG Protocol and other diets is that you aren't starving yourself. Your body is still getting plenty of calories from abnormal fat reserves. Another key difference is that the HCG Protocol resets the hypothalamus so that your metabolism improves to help ensure you keep the weight off. The HCG releases abnormal fat, such as that around the knees and on your back and butt, without consuming normal fat reserves, such as those that keep your face looking soft and healthy. Other differences include a higher sense of wellbeing on the HCG Protocol and the fact that exercise isn't required to lose large amounts of abnormal fat.
Long ago, before artificial lights became the norm, our evenings were illuminated by the light of the candle or by kerosene lanterns. These days, we take our access to lighting for granted. But lights at night can throw our circadian rhythm — your body's biological clock — off kilter, causing problems with sleep that may contribute to a range [...]
It's important to know your ideal weight range before embarking on the HCG Protocol so that you can lose the optimum amount. But to determine your ideal weight range, you first must calculate your frame size.Calculating Your Frame SizeYou will need a tape measure, ruler, or a set of calipers to measure your elbow to determine your frame size. Extend [...]
Kids may seem happy-go-lucky and carefree, but the truth is, they experience stress like the rest of us. While some stress is normal and perfectly healthy, chronic stress in children is an important factor for substance abuse, emotional problems, and learning disabilities later on in life.While you can't protect your child from feeling stress, you can help her learn to [...]
When followed to the letter, the HCG Protocol can bring about real, permanent weight loss. For most people who faithfully adhere to the Protocol, dieting or counting calories after the HCG Protocol is rarely necessary as long as they make healthy lifestyle choices most of the time and remain mindful of the food they put in their body. Unfortunately, [...]
It didn't take long for standing at a desk all day to be ruled out as a healthy alternative to sitting at a desk all day. Cornell University found that standing all day can increase the risk of heart disease and varicose veins, and since most people who use standing desks don't set them up correctly, standing all day [...]
Reaching a plateau during the HCG protocol is no fun, but it's bound to happen, according to Dr. Simeons. The most important thing is to first make sure you're following the protocol to the letter, and the second most important thing is to not give up. Plateaus don't last long, and in due time, your weight loss should start [...]
Beautiful skin takes some work. It all starts, of course, with a healthy diet that promotes optimal blood flow, body cleansing, and skin elasticity. It continues with regular exercise that keeps your organs, including your skin, in the best possible shape. The icing on the skincare cake is what you actually do to your skin. Washing your face, moisturizing [...]
In his manuscript, Pounds and Inches: A New Approach to Obesity, Dr. Simeons discusses the dreaded plateaus, wherein weight loss seems to slow or stall. These are inevitable, and they shouldn't cause you to give up hope. There's not much you can do about these, and as long as you're following the Protocol to the letter, they will pass. [...]
The average American consumes more than 150 pounds of sugar every year, and that doesn't include another 62 pounds of high fructose corn syrup, which is found in numerous packaged foods in the grocery store. Recent research shows that using pure, raw honey instead of sugar can amount to some excellent health benefits. What is Raw Honey? Raw honey is a pure [...]