If you’re trying to lose weight on the HCG Diet, the amount of sleep you get is extremely important for amazing weight loss success. For overall health, you should aim for seven to nine hours of sleep every night.
- Poor sleep is a major risk factor for weight gain and obesity. Inadequate sleep has been linked to a higher body mass index (BMI) and weight gain. Poor sleep can cause weight gain, which, in turn, can cause sleep quality to decrease even further.
- Poor sleep can increase your appetite. The hormones, leptin, ghrelin and cortisol can be affected by sleep deprivation. If you don’t get at least six hours of sleep, the hormone, leptin, is reduced and the hormone ghrelin is stimulated. Ghrelin stimulates hunger, increases fat storage and reduces your metabolic rate. Leptin, a hormone that is produced in your fat cells, causes your stomach to feel full. The stress hormone, cortisol, rises without proper sleep, causing you to want to eat more.
- Sleep helps you fight cravings and make healthy food choices. Sleep deprivation will dull the activity in the frontal lobe of the brain which is where your decision-making and self-control lies.
- Poor sleep can increase your calorie intake. With increased appetite and hunger from not getting enough sleep and restricted calorie intake while dieting, it makes it harder for you to stick to the low-calorie diet without cheating.
- Poor sleep can make it harder for you to lose. Studies have shown that adults gained an average of 1.8 pounds when they slept only 5 hours of sleep per night for five nights. So, if you are dieting but not getting enough sleep, your body will probably be struggling to lose.
- Exercise can backfire if you don’t get enough zzzs. Exercise can help you burn serious calories, but it also can actually hinder fat loss by increasing the levels of the stress hormone, cortisol, if you are not getting at least seven hours of sleep. Exercise can help boost your metabolism, however, you want to make sure you get enough sleep and stick to less intense workouts while dieting.
Here are some helpful tips to help you get the proper rest that you need:
- Avoid all electronics an hour or two before bedtime.
- Try a relaxing activity before bed, such as reading or taking a warm bath.
- Decrease caffeine consumption by trying not to drink caffeinated beverages after lunch.
- Try to stick with the same bedtime schedule every day of the week including weekends.
You may have several questions and concerns about the HCG Protocol, and it's important to find the answers before you start the diet to ensure you go into it with an easy mind and a full understanding of what's involved. Here are the answers to the top eight questions people have about the Protocol. Do I have to eat [...]
Long ago, before artificial lights became the norm, our evenings were illuminated by the light of the candle or by kerosene lanterns. These days, we take our access to lighting for granted. But lights at night can throw our circadian rhythm — your body's biological clock — off kilter, causing problems with sleep that may contribute to a range [...]
It's important to know your ideal weight range before embarking on the HCG Protocol so that you can lose the optimum amount. But to determine your ideal weight range, you first must calculate your frame size.Calculating Your Frame SizeYou will need a tape measure, ruler, or a set of calipers to measure your elbow to determine your frame size. Extend [...]
Kids may seem happy-go-lucky and carefree, but the truth is, they experience stress like the rest of us. While some stress is normal and perfectly healthy, chronic stress in children is an important factor for substance abuse, emotional problems, and learning disabilities later on in life.While you can't protect your child from feeling stress, you can help her learn to [...]
When followed to the letter, the HCG Protocol can bring about real, permanent weight loss. For most people who faithfully adhere to the Protocol, dieting or counting calories after the HCG Protocol is rarely necessary as long as they make healthy lifestyle choices most of the time and remain mindful of the food they put in their body. Unfortunately, [...]
It didn't take long for standing at a desk all day to be ruled out as a healthy alternative to sitting at a desk all day. Cornell University found that standing all day can increase the risk of heart disease and varicose veins, and since most people who use standing desks don't set them up correctly, standing all day [...]
Reaching a plateau during the HCG protocol is no fun, but it's bound to happen, according to Dr. Simeons. The most important thing is to first make sure you're following the protocol to the letter, and the second most important thing is to not give up. Plateaus don't last long, and in due time, your weight loss should start [...]
Beautiful skin takes some work. It all starts, of course, with a healthy diet that promotes optimal blood flow, body cleansing, and skin elasticity. It continues with regular exercise that keeps your organs, including your skin, in the best possible shape. The icing on the skincare cake is what you actually do to your skin. Washing your face, moisturizing [...]
In his manuscript, Pounds and Inches: A New Approach to Obesity, Dr. Simeons discusses the dreaded plateaus, wherein weight loss seems to slow or stall. These are inevitable, and they shouldn't cause you to give up hope. There's not much you can do about these, and as long as you're following the Protocol to the letter, they will pass. [...]